Tuesday, January 29, 2008

January 29, 2008

Can you say Iguana!!!!!

He happened on our deck area while we were reading in the sun. Quite a surprise.
John and Rae Jean and Kylie (dog)


Happy hour at "Kelly's"
Sunset on Key West

Well, we have had a busy day or two. First of all, the Iguana....a few days ago I was laying out in the sun and heard something move in the Mangrove tree next to me. I was quite startled when I saw a green Iguana that was at least 2' long! (John thought I was seeing things, I think.) So, Sunday night we were invited down for dinner with 2 other couples and were talking and I said I saw this huge lizard...and they said..."oh yes, there is a mom here and her babies...they are native to the island and our dogs go nuts when they see them." (Can you imagine Kate and an Iguana???) Anyway, today John was outside reading and yelling for me to get the camera...I didn't hear him, so he came in and got the camera and the above picture is what crawled up on the patio! He was a brown Iguana, not green. Look how long his tail is. Very fun to see in the wild.

So, we met 2 couples. Brian and Linda from Vermont (and their daughter Jenny joined them for a week) and John and Rae Jean from Hilton Head Island, SC. Brian is retired from IBM and John is still working as a pharmacist and also has some property he has invested in. We get together for "liquor drinks" (as John says) and end up all eating together. Today we all met at Kelly's Bar for happy hour then John and walked out to the waterfront to see the infamous "Key West Sunset". Then he and I went to dinner at a Cuban restaurant. It was a fun night. They told us to stop when we got home for more liquor drinks, but we were liquored out!

It had been pretty low key here for the most part. We have been biking everyday and walking a good bit and I have been using my exercise tape. (Anything to help loose a few pounds.) I have to say I am now reading "The Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follet.....it is 970 + pages and I am half way through. It is very good. I will read "World Without End" when I am through with this. We have gotten in the sun everyday about 2-3 hours. ( I say this sheepishly knowing what everyone at home is enduring.) Then today we met 3 more couples that are from places we have been and places we are going. It's fun to know what to expect when we get to the next park.

Well, this might be the last blog until we go to Ft. Myers on Friday, unless we go snorkeling on Thursday..which is still in the planning stages.

No comments: